Translate

Friday, August 29, 2008

Very Nice Few Days...DS...Michael Lee Doll

We have just had a wonderful visit from the son who lives in Michigan. What a surprise..lol The phone rang and the question was..."What are you doing the next couple of weeks? I'm in Missouri!" After picking my jaw up from the ground, I was too excited for words.

We went to McKinney a couple of days ago and wandered through the antique malls. It seems there is a downtown improvement project going on and the corner where our favorite restaurant is located is torn completely up ... but from the looks of all the brickwork already finished on other sides of the street, it will be very nice.



I found a doll for $5.00 that was thrown in a basket on the floor in the last antique shop we visited. DH and DS both grinned a bit and thought it was a little funny that I wanted a doll, but this turns out to be a special one. I had no idea at the time... I just knew that I had never seen one like it before. It turns out to be signed, dated and numbered by the old Chinese man who made these dolls in his 700 sq. ft. home in Hong Kong. Wow! His name was Michael Lee and was a refugee from China fleeing when the Communists took over the country. Click here for his story. It's a lovely one... he spent most of his money helping other refugees find their way out of the refugee camps.

Anyway...after I washed his face and ironed the clothes it made a really big difference. I think he's cute as a button!

1 comment:

Mariella said...

I went to a great restaurant in Mckinney when my daughter lived in Texas. I forgot the name, but the food was great!
It was a family type establishment with good old comfort food.
I think it was in a saloon type of building. I had meatloaf, gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans.