Translate

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Tea and Toast

 It's a beautiful morning.  Cool 80° now, but weather says it feels like 77°.  It was cooler this morning and I made it out in time to pick the Lemon Balm and Apple Mint.  The Lemon Balm needs to be moved...I think the sun is burning it.. :(  I got it in and washed it a couple of times.. It's on the counter drying now.  Had Lemon Balm tea yesterday and am having Mint tea this morning. 



I don't know what's gotten into me, but I've been on a baking spree for a couple of days.  I made Peasant Bread using the recipe from Alexandra's Kitchen.  Go have a look .. she has many wonderful recipes.  

I've used this recipe many times and the only thing I change is .. I add 1 tbsp. gluten for each cup of flour and 1 tbsp. dough conditioner for the entire recipe.  This makes it just like Wonder Bread..lol.. anyone remember that bread??!!  

The recipe itself is  HERE..




  In the process of spending all that energy,  I also made a Custard Pie.  I can't take credit for just WANTING to make that pie.. The fact is, I'd had that pie crust in the fridge until it was almost out of date.. use it or lose.. ya know..  And my sweet husband likes Custard so it was a win-win ..  

I used a different recipe than I usually do.  It's called Grandma's Egg Custard Pie.  I made it exactly like the recipe .. HERE .. but it calls for an egg white to coat the crust before you bake the pie.  The egg white is supposed to keep the crust from becoming soggy... Well, I didn't want to have an egg yolk sitting around doing nothing, so I skipped that part and just stuck the crust in the hot oven for about 7 or 8 minutes to harden it a bit and voila'.. no soggy crust.  

It actually turned out very well.  My hon says it's the "best pie I've ever had"!  You don't suppose he was buttering me up, do ya??  :) 

I'm a little on the tired side today.  I don't expect to get much done today except maybe knit on my scarf.. I'll show that in another post.. :)

Have a good day.. rest if you need to..Hugs.. 


No comments: