Translate

Sunday, October 06, 2024

Losing Dianne



 I guess I knew that Dianne was not doing too well.  We haven't physically seen each other for many years and yet spoke online almost every day through Facebook, messages or phone calls.  I remember thinking about a week or so ago that I hadn't heard from her in a while and "I need to call"....  Then last night as I was cooking supper Jerry said "Listen to me.  I'm trying to tell you something!" .. sigh .. "Dianne Nash has died."  I couldn't catch my breath.  


I met Tom and Dianne Nash around 2005 at a Ranger Reunion in San Antonio, TX.  Their daughter Kim had died just a few months earlier and while they were as upbeat as they could be, the sadness was palpable.  We liked each other, but it was not an "instant bond" thing.  Then as time went on and we came across each other on facebook and talked via messenger and phone calls, we became friends. 

Tom and Dianne would take trips to New Mexico almost every year and the year we built our new house (2011) in Sherman, TX they made a special effort to stop to see us.  

We had just moved into our new home and had barely emptied all the boxes.. lol  It was so fun to have them with us.  Out to dinner, shopping in the antique stores...Tom going to Jerry's coffee klatch with him.  They only stayed one day and left the next morning, but what fun.  

Over the years we followed all the fun, the pride in our husbands, the Ranger reunions, the Ranger newsletter, sharing crafts and books...Tom wrote poetry and we had a shared interest in certain kinds of books.  Jerry edited the newsletter and Tom was President of the Ranger Association...both spent a lot of time encouraging all their buddies and helping with VA paperwork. What a team they were.  

Tom died in 2021 and left a whole in our hearts..and now Dianne.  Sleep well, Dear Friends. 

No comments: