Translate

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rockport, Massachusetts et.al.

My children's grandfather came from Rockport. There were many stories told and talked about over the years. There was a small oil painting that was kept hanging on the wall for years of a bright red building sitting on a pier... and here it is. I was amazed when this picture showed up in the photos that son Phil emailed to me of his and Loretta's trip to Rockport. The perspective is a little off and the colors are a lot brighter than the very old painting...but there is no doubt that this is the same building. (Well...there may be some doubt. It has been about 35 years since I saw that painting..lol But this is how I remember it.)




It seems that Loretta had to do a genealogical study for a college course she was taking. Voila'... new obsession...lol (I laugh because those of us who have been bitten by that bug totally understand... kinda like the knitting bug!) There was much information found on this trip...even the house the family lived in.. and they found the natives to be wonderfully friendly and helpful.


This trip was made before the tourist season started. It seems that once the season begins a person can hardly walk down the sidewalk for the wall-to-wall people. Of course, it was a little on the cold side. Notice the cap... polishing lapels here... That is the hand spun merino, hand knitted fair isle cap that I made for him... and this one even fits..lol


This is one of my favorite photos. It makes me want to go... and maybe stay...lol I think I will try to either paint or pastel this picture.. We'll see...
The movie The Proposal starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds was made here. There are some photos shown here of some of the movie props that were around town. I have to admit that I have not seen this movie...but I will now...lol And I adore Sandra Bullock.

As for life in general... the trip to Tulsa this week went well. My shoulder actually seems to be feeling some better. I seem to stay a bit tired, but I think that is because for the first time in years he has me doing some exercises to strengthen my neck. And the vitamins and supplements.... Lawzee... what a mess of them to try to swallow. But will continue... I'm ready to try anything and for as long as it takes. Seems it's either that or give up knitting. I really think that I am holding the knitting needles not only wrong, but too tightly and that is exaserbating the problem. Oh well... either way... must be fixed.

We are again in the woodworking aka shop mode. Yesterday and the day before was spent re-setting the routers. That sounds bad..lol It did not take that long to set the routers...but had to try several to get the one that made the look we wanted. Then had to buy some things..so that meant trips to Lowe's... etc...etc.. The first picture frame has been cut and will be sanded and put together today. We are working on a quilt holder/shelf that will fit one of my small quilts to be put up on the wall. Can't wait to see how that will work out!

The baby wrens gave me a scare a couple of days ago... I checked the nest and they looked dead. So I checked it again later and they still looked the same. I checked again later and they had moved, but still couldn't tell if they were breathing or had been moved about by the mom. About an hour later we emerged from the shop to see the mother flit away and heard them cheeping... phew... I worry that they are so close to the ground and accessible to cats, snakes and anything else that may want to harm them. We'll see if they make it to the fledging stage... Fingers crossed.

Have a good day...





No comments: