Translate

Monday, August 03, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook 08/03/2009

















For today: August 03, 2009

Outside my window: the sun is almost up and it looks like it will be another hot day today. The wren has nested in the utility trailer that DH pulls behind the mower, so there won't be any using it until after fledging. I can hardly wait... This is the second breeding period for wrens and I would love to know how many eggs are in this nest.

I am thinking: very slowly this morning in my effort to drink my first cup of coffee and wake up. I did not want to get up this morning... it was so nice to just lay there in the cool comfort of the bed and slide up to DH's back. The only problem with staying there was the beginning of a dream... I was walking into work and pulling out a med cart, taking report and watching other nursing staff come into work... Had a very deleterious effect on my semi-sleep progress...lol

From the learning room: I have found through working on the little snail/mushroom quilt that I can design my own quilts. They may not look totally professional yet, but I can do it. Working on color balance will help... Maybe I should do a color wheel quilt..

I am thankful for: mornings like this one where I can sit and blog while half asleep... take my time waking up and not have to worry. If history teaches us anything, it is to appreciate what we take for granted today. At the turn of the century everyone worked hard every day... 6 1/2 and 7 day workweeks were the norm beginning about age 10 and lasting a lifetime.

From the kitchen: doesn't come much new. I have learned to make a meat loaf that DH and I can eat on the Atkins diet. That was for supper last night.

I am wearing: that rather horrible loose dress that was bought at Dillard's. I may have to start leaving this one out..lol.. since this what I put on every morning to get around, drink my coffee, cook breakfast and eat. Then comes the getting dressed and ready for the day.

I am reading: my new Spin-Off Magazine that arrived a couple of days ago. Love that...the first one since I subscribed. Also started a new book for bedtime reading. It's called Dragontears by Dean Koontz. I'm not far enough along in it yet to know whether it will be a favorite, but since I usually really enjoy his I don't think there will be a problem... ;o)

I am hoping: that whatever the floor in the office is going to do, it does it soon. The lift in the center of the floor that caused the tiles to lift about 4" and break loose has gone back down, but still going down more. It will be really nice when it is all done and the tiles are re-set.

I am creating: a bit of a mess trying to learn to spin cotton with a supported spindle. The spindle is one that I made with a round something..forgot what it was.. and a bamboo skewer. It is working quite well. I was using a small Japanese bowl to support it, but it seemed to be too big and allowed the spindle to move around. Sooo... I moved one of my painted eggs from the candle holder that was supporting and used the candle holder. That works much better. The problem is that I think my support spindle is too long. While I don't have a problem with the no hook part, I have reach quite high to draft or just put the twist in then park and draft. We'll see what comes from this... ;o)

I am hearing: the air conditioner purr. Not long ago a flash back memory jumped up as we were walking across the parking lot going into Sam's. It was not until the late 1950's that air conditioning became widespread across the South. I can remember as a child seeing the banners in the windows of some grocery stores and department stores advertising "Air Conditioned". What a treat it was on a hot August afternoon to just stand in the door of such a wonderland.. lol
Around the house: plans are being made for the arrival and visit of son and daughter in law in a couple of weeks. What a joy that will be.. ;o)

One of my favorite things: is a small triangular stool that sits in my bathtub with a little pull out tray with a footstool attached. Love it... makes it so easy to do the daily ablutions like shaving the legs so much easier.

A few plans for the rest of the week: include finishing the last 3 seams of the snail/mushroom quilt, finishing with the de-clutter of the kitchen and then on to the rest of the house. Would love to totally redecorate much of my house...but will settle for the de-clutter...lol

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you:






















"Grow old along with me!The best is yet to be.
The last of life, for which the first was made. "
Robert Browning
Robert Browning "Rabbi Ben Ezra"

1 comment:

Jerralea said...

I enjoyed reading your daybook. I love to declutter, too. It really is like a makeover. Things look so much better when it's not too crowded.