Translate

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Today in My Life .. September 25, 2016


Today is:  Sunday, September 25, 2016  

I got up this morning:  under protest.  When I finally looked at the clock it was straight up and down 6am and I thought.. "Oh well....sigh" and considered the wonders of a cup of coffee.

I am hearing:  rain.  I must have really slept last night since it rained all night.  The thunder is still rolling a bit occasionally and I have to say.. I love it.  Memories... I am about 4 years old.. in the wagon bed behind my Mom and Dad with 2 horses hitched to the wagon.  The road we are on is an old dirt road in Coal County, Oklahoma.  My dad is standing and holding the reins easily.. funny how I never consider that he should be so proficient with horses.  Mom is sitting on the wagon seat and my brother Larry is standing in back beside me.   I am fascinated with the bumpy ride...horses and wagons are a new and exciting thing.. as are most things when you're 4 years old.  :)  We have left the Hockett (pronounced Hoe-kett) place and are on our way to the Eubanks Place where my grandparents lived.   And the thunder rolled and a cool breeze rolled softly over us.  "Daddy.. what was that?"   "Somebody's potato wagon rolled over in Heaven"  he said....

I look out the window: and see it continues to rain just enough that it looks like fog as I see the headlights of cars coming around the curve in the road.  My sweet potato vines in the flower bed soak up the moisture like sponges and have grown to completely cover all the shrubs ... looks like the flower bed has been covered with kudzu.

I am thinking:  how wonderful it will be to have a visit from grandson Dustin and his lovely new wife next weekend. 

I am thankful for:  photographs and memories... facebook and old friends... 

I am reading:  again... Inspector of the Dead by David Morrell... who is one of my favorite authors.  This particular book is the second using Thomas de Quincey and his daughter Emily as the protagonists.  Wonderful books..  David Morrell's first book was .. ta da.. First Blood and it later became the Sylvester Stallone movie by the same name.   

When I first read The Opium Eater .. the 1st Thomas de Quincey book.. I had no idea that he was indeed a real person who was addicted to opium and was indeed a genius. 

Plans for the week:  would be great... but we all know that I am seldom one to follow plans anyway.  :)  There will be a great deal of picking up and putting away, cleaning, cooking and baking.  However... it's any one's guess in what order.. :)

Creatively:  I have been working on a shawl using the pattern called Old Shale .. Some people call this pattern Feather and Fan, but actually Feather and Fan is a totally different one.  Anyway.. whatever it's called, I love the look of this pattern and the feel of the finished product.  

Today will be a busy day with much to do, but I'm hoping for a little down time to paint this afternoon. 

Have a wonderful day today... Smile, laugh and hug all your family and buddies today.. :)



No comments: