Translate

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Old Quilt




I am not a quilt collector... unless you count the ones that my grandmother, hubby's grandmothers' and my children have made. I found this quilt in a used furniture store that had purchased some things in lots at an auction and among everything else there were 4 quilts in a cedar chest. At first I couldn't figure out what kind of blocks these were, then after I had taken the photos and looked at them a little closer, I could see that this is like the ones my stepmother used to make. She called them "string" quilts because small strips of cloth were sewn onto cut newspaper squares, then the squares were sewn together in 9 patch blocks and then the quilt top was put together. At some point in this process the paper was removed.
This one is in fair condition and from the fabric colors and the fabric itself, appears to be early to mid 20th century. After I saw it, I came home and searched online to see how close to home I could find an appraiser. Believe it or not, there is one in the next town over ... so will be making an appointment to see if the $10.00 I spent was too much... grin
(My husband has corrected me... it was $20.00! ... sorry!) :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.