Translate

Friday, February 22, 2008

Grandma's Plain Cake


I suppose I overdid it again last year during the holidays. I had all kinds of brownie and cookie mixes left over... cans of cake icing...etc. So yesterday I decided to see if I could remember how Grandma showed me to make a quick cake. I'm not sure this is it exactly, but it's good anyway..grin And it also helped get rid of that can of lemon icing I've had in the cupboard...

This is what I did:

"Grandma's" Cake

2 eggs

1 stick softened butter

1 cup sugar

Beat these together in large mixing bowl. Then add

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Add in alternating small batches

2 cups self rising flour

1 1/2 cups milk

Beat briskly for about 2 minutes. I did this all by hand.. You can also use a mixer, which would probably give a fluffier cake. Pour into greased and floured cake pans and bake at 350 degree for about 30 minutes or so.. or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 min., loosen sides and place on rack to cool. Ice with whatever icing you would like..

Mom's Icing

1 lb. powdered sugar

1/2 stick of butter or margarine

cold coffee

Put powdered sugar in medium size bowl with softened butter. Mix well. Use the cold coffee to soften the mix to spreading consistency. Especially good on spice cake.

No comments: