Translate

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Whole Wheat Peasant Bread.. yum yum


I was wandering around the web the other day and found the coolest recipe for the easiest yeast bread I have ever seen.  The web site is a recipe blog called Alexandra's Kitchen.  The recipe is HERE for her wonderful Peasant Bread.  I used her recipe almost exactly to make the first batch..



Oh my... was it wonderful.  Of course I had to eat all of it myself.  While I love the look after cooking them in bowls, the slices were not the right size for my toaster, so I had to toast whatever I wanted in a skillet.. Can't say I minded that either.. ;)

Since my DH is diabetic,  I set about trying to make it using whole wheat flour.  I used 3 cups of whole wheat flour to 1 cup of all purpose flour.  Amazing.. not a problem at all.  It rose up so light and fluffy I was surprised.

I decided to use mini loaves so I could freeze what we were not going to eat right away.  It turns out that he can eat them when I slice the mini loaves into 10 slices.  The slices are just big enough for a lunch sandwich and make wonderful toast..

For the sandwiches, I sliced the loaves lengthwise... perfect....

The weather is just on the coolish side this morning with lots of fog and mist.  It's one of those days you read about in your favorite English novel.. ;) 

Hope all is well with you and yours.. ;)
Hugs...

No comments: