Translate

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Our "Sonic Bird"


I took this picture yesterday of our "Sonic Bird". For a really large view, click on the pic. Of course, she is very busy sitting on her nest so she didn't come up and show off that beautiful bright yellow breast that she has. They both have a slight indentation of the feathers on top of their head.. makes them look like a silent movie star with their hair parted in the middle..grin We thought maybe the male would come up and relieve her so I could get his pic... but no dice.. didn't show up. When he shows up, she flies straight up into the sky until she is a tiny speck... I don't think I have ever seen a bird fly that high. The male does not sit on the nest, but he flits from one limb to another, looking around all the time and never leaves until she returns.
The closest bird photo I found in our book is the Western Kingbird, but it says their nests are saucer shaped... this one looks more like an oversized hummingbird nest.. deep and bowl shaped. Anyway.. perhaps someone will recognize this bird and let me know for sure...

No comments: