Translate

Monday, May 12, 2008

Scarborough Renaissance Festival

After 20 years of wishing, I was given the extraordinary Mother's Day gift of a day not only at the Scarborough Renaissance Festival, but with the sons and grandsons... wow...


And what a day... My senses just couldn't take it all in. I took so many pictures that my battery just about gave up the ghost and flitted away in front of my eyes...


These two young ladies have been playing their harps at Scarborough Faire for at least 16 years. Our son bought one of their CDs 16 years ago... I bought one last Saturday.. And what beautiful music!


I had in mind looking for a spindle, nalbinding, or spinning wheel shop.. alas, there were none. I did find (after we left..boo hoo) there is a bookbinding shop there. There are shops everywhere.. everything from Renaissance clothes to blacksmiths to sword making to flutes...and on and on.... And everyone in period costume... and wait until you see the jousts! And the troubadours!


The jousts were fun... Of course it was all choreographed, but if the real thing was anything at all like it, I can only imagine the excitement they caused. And the skill of the participants... amazing..





If you ever have an opportunity to go to a Renaissance Faire, do yourself a favor and go. There are only limited utilities in this location, so it is not hard at all to envision how it would have been back in the 1300 to 1600s.. As a result they close at 7:00pm...there are no lights.


There is a parade 2 or 3 times a day... Wow...They will definitely toast "Hail and Hearty" to anyone in the crowd who approaches with a tankard..lol This young man even stopped and posed for me...

What a great day! Home too tired for words...but so pleased...

No comments: