Translate

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spindle Spinning Class and Elizabeth Zimmermann






The Spindle Spinning Class at the Red River Museum was a great success. I am so tickled you can't even imagine. Everyone was enthusiastic, talked constantly and just had fun..and learned to spin.. imagine that... ! What a wonderful day...























These two little hats are made from the bits and pieces left over from other projects. The pink is my first try with kool aid dyeing and the blue is the very first thing I ever tried to spin using my Kromski spinning wheel. I think I will keep them as reminders and keepsakes...






This is the first time I have tried to use singles for any large project. This is mixed wool that was spun into a single with 16 wpi. It was dyed with blue kool-aid with a couple of pkgs. of yellow stirred into separate areas... gives a variegated green to the blue.. I like it..



This is the beginning of the Elizabeth Zimmermann Shawl Project from the July project in the EZ Knitter's Almanac. It begins with a crocheted center...which I modified a bit so I would not have to use just 3 stitches per knitting needle...what a bother that was. It's amazing to me that the math for this project really works...lol




"It's Pi; the geometry of the circle hinging on the mysterious relationship of the circumference of a circle to its radius. A circle will double its circumference in infinitely themselves-doubling distances, or, in knitters' terms, the distance between the increase-rounds in which you double the number of stitches, goes 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96 rounds, and so on..." pg 73, EZ Knitter's Almanac...


Never in my lifetime would I have considered ANY of the geometry I took in school to be useful in knitting... WOW...


I may have to spin some more of this yarn and try to match the colors, but I couldn't wait to try this pattern...lol Maybe some day I will grow up and learn patience.. but I'm not holding my breath on that one...lol

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

hi there...i have stummbled across your blog and have enjoyed reading a little here and there. i have to say your classes sound so fun, something i would like to try one day. :)
have a wonderful day!
_jennifer