Translate

Monday, May 01, 2006

Cast Iron Pots and Wash Boards


I was looking through my documents this morning and came across this email that I had saved probably a year ago. I saved it because it reminded me so much of my grandmother, Annie Belle. This is her picture taken at the old homeplace around 1990 or so.. would have to ask Aunt Betty.. she was there when these pics were made. Anyway... as I read this email I was taken back in time to days spent behind this house with the old iron pot, wash board and piles of clothes. Of course, I didn't get to help much. I usually helped with the wash cloths and pillowcases, maybe the shirts. But the one thing that always amazed me was how she could grab those big, heavy quilts and wring them out until they didn't have a drop of water dripping out of them. Amazing woman. Miss her. Here's the email:

"Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe. This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - with spelling errors and all.

WASHING CLOTHES
Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert.
Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.
Sort things, make 3 piles
1 pile white,1 pile colored,1 pile work britches and rags.
To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.
Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence. Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed.
Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
Turn tubs upside down.
Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs.Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings."

No comments: