Translate

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Fourth of July


This being the 4th of July with celebrations of our Independence Day going on all over the country, I guess I just felt the need to say a few of the things that are on my mind today.
This is our son Chuck ... who is today in a foreign land working with the many other Marines and soldiers who give every day of their lives for the protection of this land and our many freedoms. This is his 3rd year (1 year tours) serving in Iraq. He had a choice when this tour came up and he chose to return. I cannot say how proud we are of him and at the same time, I cannot say how anxious I am about him during this tour.
On the trip to my daughter's a few days ago, I was listening to talk radio. The statement was made that it should be called Hypocrite's Day. This gave me pause.. How many of our children really know and will sing with dignity the National Anthem? How many actually know and can recite the Pledge of Allegiance? How many adults will consider today a day to think about all the freedoms our soldiers work for every day to preserve for them? Or is it all about fireworks and backyard bar-b-q's, fishing trips and beer?
Perhaps we should give it some thought, stop for a minute and think for a bit about all those who are still fighting this fight for independence even as we fire off our Black Cats and grab another beer as we run for the boat with our fishing poles.

No comments: