Translate

Monday, July 17, 2006

Random Thoughts

Every now and then I pop over to our son's blog and I'm always amazed at the insight I find there. Here's an example:
Random Thoughts

I don't know why I haven't felt like posting anything for so long. I come here with every intention of writing something and when I look at this page I just lose all motivation.
I did have an interesting experience today at work. We're in the midst of moving the plant and I find myself alone where 8 people were sitting - they have already moved.
This gives me plenty of quiet time for thinking. In addition to thinking I listen to Dave Ramsey in the afternoon. If you don't know, Dave Ramsey is the Total Money Makeover guy, the "normal is lookin' good, bein' broke, and one job layoff from bankruptcy - don't be normal", the "live like noone else so later on you can live like noone else" guy. He has no formula, no tricks. His whole spiel is "get out of debt, stay out of debt, invest and give." That's it. The whole secret to financial peace. Personally, I think he's right.
So anyway, I'm sitting there listening to people talk about money, and generally drifting through various thoughts when it hit me that I have enough. It was such a great feeling. Not just enough money. Not just enough stuff. Enough everything. Enough love. Enough family. Enough possessions. Enough.
It's not that I stopped wanting things. I still want to get the boys new beds. We need a new garage door. I want my marriage to be recognized by my own country. I want the various quarrels in my family to be resolved. I still want. But if none of those things should ever happen it will be ok. It will still be enough.
I think this has come to me because I've really been trying to practice gratitude thinking lately. In other words, my circumstances haven't changed but I think my perception is beginning to. It still has a long way to go. And it's not been as easy as I thought it would be. Well, not consistently easy anyway. It's hard for me to be consistently grateful for my job. It's pretty easy to be consistently grateful for my husband and kids.
Don said to me the other day, "since we let God into our lives, things seem to be going much better." I think he's right. What is strange is that we don't make any more money now than we did before. We don't live in a different house. We don't have different friends or family. I think that God must be working on us, changing our needs and desires, showing us the divine worth of each person, each thing. Anyway, those are my random thoughts for tonight.
I hope everyone is well - Geekboi, I hope your new home and the job are working out. Bear, I hope your "unstructured" vacation went well. Damien, I hope your retirement from blogging is helpful. Jeremy, I hope school and married life are going well.
And I hope that everyone has enough.

No comments: