It's been windy for the last couple of days. It's a vivid reminder that I reeaallly do need to return to the barber shop and get my hair cut... hopefully today.
I think I may have finally gotten the Ply on the Fly technique right. I haven't yet decided whether it will turn into a favorite technique or not. Plying on the Fly produces a triple ply yarn that is smaller than I can presently do on my Kromski wheel, but I really feel the difference in time that the plying takes up. The jury is still out on this one.
The orange and green weaving that the spindle is lying on is my latest attempt at weaving. I love the different colored warps giving the stripes. I used the Corriedale handspun that I dyed with Kool Aid for the warps and the dark grey/brown Icelandic handspun for the weft. It surprised me that the weft does not show at all on either side except in a couple of spots where the Icelandic has a small bump.
The use of both weft and warp in wool caused some "sticking" together of the threads as the shed was changed. The only way I could open the shed was to use my fingers to open the threads as they would bind together and would not budge when the shed stick was used. As I realized that my fingers did a much better and quicker job of opening the shed things moved along quite nicely. All in all, I am pleased with this tiny step forward...grin