Translate

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Allergist "Rant"... Or Maybe Not



The week has gotten away from me somehow. It cannot be possible that it is already Thursday.

Today is the trip to McKinney for the allergy shots. I think the allergy shot thing will go by the wayside after this bottle of meds is used up. Last week we learned that the series of allergy shots is supposed to last around 5 years... ha.. I don't think so. When asked how long these would have to be taken, the allergist hum hawed and referred to months instead of years.... he knew that years would be out of the question...

I always thought my grandfather was a bit off whenever the subject of doctors would come up. He felt that they were "quacks" who only wanted your money.... small grin here... After working in the medical profession for years and seeing some seriously expensive tests or procedures ordered about the time BMW payments were due... I think he may have been closer to right than I wanted to believe....

Please don't get me wrong here. I have to say that if not for my sweet DH and Drs. Davis and Bonilla I honestly do not believe I would be here to write this today. But I also think that it is very easy to become enamored of all the money the profession brings to them... and writing that order for whatever procedure makes them the most money is so very tempting for many of them...

Anyway.. I have wanted to make a few of these tissue covers for a while now... just have not done it. So I did make me one a couple of days ago. It is much easier to keep up with this in the car than that big tissue box sliding around under my feet...

2 comments:

DangAndBlast! said...

Heh -- shared this w/my husband the doctor, who said (he was an economics major and gets frustrated by the lack of financial awareness on the part of doctors and the wilful ignorance of financial needs on the part of hospitals/hmos/etc.) -- go to a public hospital (not an ER, the "professional building" where non-private doctors see patients), and you'll get doctors who are salaried, who don't get paid per thing, and you'll know they aren't knowingly ordering stuff just b/c it's more expensive. OTOH, you'll end up with ones who order more expensive or less-effective (but with perks! and "agreements" with the hospital!) treatments because that's what the system says they should do... or (especially in the VA, where Himself has been several times) they'll order all sorts of expensive and unnecessary things because the patient wants "gimme everything you got" treatments and they're not directly invested in it (insurance/VA pays for everything 100%)... which leads to financial waste and higher costs for everyone in terms of taxes or premiums (depending on which system you're in)... And there's my rant :)

Linda S. said...

Smiles.. I have to say that I agree with all your husband the doctor said. I had a personal physician in a small town in Texas several years ago who left the system, moved to Louisiana and worked with the public health system there for all the above reasons... Our personal physician is a salaried physician with a group in a professional building... My DH goes to the VA here in Texas and while they are quite thorough I have yet to see them order a test that was not needed. LOL... and feel free to rant any time... ;o)