Translate

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Naalbinding


Since I don't have enough hobbies and interests already, I thought I would try a new one. There have been "socks" or slippers found at Viking archeological digs that were done with a process called naalbinding. This was the precusor of knitting and crocheting and is more durable... with the added benefit of being actually "knotted" so when the fabric is cut it does not come apart. It is done using a wooden or bone needle that looks very much like the "toothbrush" needles used for making toothbrush rugs. Since I don't have one, I used a large darning needle and some Wool Ease to see if I could even come close to the stitches. These pieces are the result.
This video is so easy to follow that the basics were not too difficult to figure out. Perhaps with a little more digging into the online instructions, I will figure out how to make those wonderful socks and slippers...grin

No comments: