Translate

Friday, March 02, 2007

What's With the Rock, Mom?


I have 5 children and my DH has 2... that makes 7 children. The youngest is 35 years old, so it's been a long time since all the wonder of new experiences and childhood delight was experienced as a matter of course. The shining eyes while talking about new things found or something exciting at school... it's been a while. I miss it desperately.

A couple of years ago, DH and I took our first train trip and visited our son and daughter-in-law in Michigan. At that time he was 37. We were awed by all the work they have done on their 100+ year old home. It was a wonderful visit...


So what's up with the rock, you ask.


As he was showing me around their property and telling about the work done to clear old falling down sheds and scrub, pointing out where the flock of birds had landed and eaten all the grass from a large part of their lawn, telling me about the pool and putting up the fencing around it I could see the pride in his eyes. We walked around the deck and looked at the small flower beds that ... in the middle of winter ... had nothing green showing in them, when I heard " Hey, Mom. Look what I found ...!" My heart fluttered so hard I thought it would jump out of my chest. I barely heard the rest of the sentence. It was all I could do to keep the tears from flowing. As I turned around, he came up and handed me "The Rock".


I know he has no idea why I asked if it would be okay to take the rock with me when we had to leave. His face had a trace of bewilderment, but he said "Sure." Now "The Rock" sits on a shelf in our den... where I can see it every day.


No comments: