Translate

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Childhood Memories


This picture was taken when I was 3 years old. My aunts Audine and Lorraine were older and were my favorite playmates. This was taken at my maternal grandmother's house in Lorenzo, TX... a small group of buildings on the hot plains of Texas near Lubbock. Mom, Dad, my brother (2 years old) and I were visiting. I don't remember much about the house or what was going on, but I do remember the big tree on the other side of the driveway that held that miracle of miracles... a swing! That feel of my tummy sinking and the wind blowing my hair was the most wonderful thing this side of ice cream. What I didn't realize was that there was a red ant bed right under that swing... but I found out when I fell out of the swing! It took only a minute or so for them to let it be known that they truly disapproved of the intrusion and destruction of their home. A few hugs, kisses, a little soda mixed with water and put on all the red spots and soon all was well again.


A few years ago, Mom, Lorraine, Martha and I went looking for that house again. It, of course, is no longer there. But amazingly...the tree was still there. I didn't get out to look for the ant bed... grin.. once was quite enough..grin

No comments: